25 January 2013

Consumerism and education: You bought something different


Students: If you think you are owed grades
as a paying customers, you should see if the
ACCC will protect your consumer rights. 
A student recently had a rant on Facebook about how the IELTS test OWED him better marks,  because "without the Chinese and the Indians, the whole IELTS system" and hence Australia would just suddenly fall apart.  I can't quote the student too closely here because he would loose face.

That's a shame because I really liked the student. I understand frustration with difficult tests, but there isn't a system of entitlement here. Not everyone makes the cut. Fact of life.

I thought I would give him some encouragement, but set him right a little too.

------------------------------------------- 

Dear student:


This organisation owes you nothing
I think you have a bright future and I will always be on your side to encourage you, but I believe that nobody buys their marks in anything that is worth having. You can buy D&G, you can buy YSL. You can't buy good grades. Not for language tests, not for any school that is worth going to.

If you feel you are a consumer and you have rights, I probably should remind you otherwise. The student as a consumer is at best only half way correct. When it comes to education, we buy ourselves opportunities with our wallets. But if we are to achieve a bright future, we must pay in effort and skill.

I think you can do it. But you, nor I, nor anyone, has a right to it. I hope you can see the difference.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------


-Tetracarbon out. 


Note: Images added for this blog only. 

No comments: